Saturday, November 25, 2017

Up next

I really need more outerwear.  I am planning to make some jackets; first up will be a bomber jacket.
I plan to make this one

I tried another bomber jacket pattern that just did not work out.  The instructions contained a lot of errors and the fabric I chose was not a good choice.  This pattern calls for woven fabrics and moderate knits with limited stretch.

After pin fitting this pattern, I think the shoulders are way to broad for me.  I used a technique from Sandra Betzina on narrowing shoulders.

The technique is to draw around the shoulder and arm area, extending down two inches below the arm and two inches in width from this area. Now you have a template and I cut around this draft.  You then mark the amount you want to reduce the shoulder width, and lay the template at that mark and then pivot the template to line up at the underarm area side seam.  I then taped this to the pattern and the cut the excess off.  I reduced the width of this by 1/2 inch.

Other changes made thus far is forward shoulder and swayback.  I made the forward shoulder change before adjusting the shoulder width.

My plan is to use some fabric I purchased from Gorgeous Fabrics in 2014.  This is a lace look double knit.  I used some of this fabric in another garment made a couple of years ago.

More to share later.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely fabric for your project and what a great tip for doing a narrow shoulder. Will have to give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only tried this technique once and it worked well.

      Delete
  2. It is a beautiful piece of fabric to use on this pattern!

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...