Posts

New Look 6469

Image
I finally got an opportunity to wear my new dress New Look 6469 earlier this week as the weather turned cold enough to wear.

I took these photos right before leaving for work and used my iPad to take them.  The background colors are not real conducive to showing off this dress and I played with editing as best I could.

I wore this with tights and my camel suede colored booties, only I left my feet out of the shots.

Back of the dress!  The dress calls for a zipper.  I interfaced the back seam edges for the zipper insertion.  This worked well.  I used Design Plus Stay Tape for this.

Here is the side view
This is a high low hem.  To be perfectly honest, I did not recall using the low hem back piece.  When I put it on to wear that day and I saw how the back hung, I thought it might have to do with snug bust. The pattern indicates that it is close fitting in the shoulder/chest/bust area.  It does not really pull in that area so I have decided this is definitely the high/low hem back piece.

My New Project

Image
Friday evening I took the time to begin the layout of fabric and pattern. In an earlier post I reported that I wanted to begin sewing some jackets. I have not made any jackets in over a year, though I did attempt a McCall's bomber jacket pattern that did not go well. That one went to the wadder basket.

The pattern that I'm using now for this project is is another McCall pattern; this one has set in sleeves with pleating at the bottom edge of the sleeve. It also has a casing and you insert 2 inch elastic.

I had planned to cut out more of the fabric than what I did on Friday evening on Saturday. However I woke up Saturday morning not feeling very well, experiencing a migraine type headache. This morning feeling much better I tackled cutting out this pattern. This pattern has a lining, a two-piece sleeve with pleating at's hemline before cuff is attached. There's a lot of pattern pieces to cut out. I used my Olfa  60 MM rotary cutter. Many sewist use rotary cutters to cut…

Pamela's Pattern Pretty Peplum

Image
Sometime ago I posted about sewing the Pretty Peplum top using Pamela's Pattern.  This was one of the post about my challenges with this top.

I put the project in time out as I just was not happy with all the adjustments I made.  Every so often I would take the top and try it on and kept thinking I needed to reduce some of the front width at waistline more.  I would then put it back in time out.

Last week, I decided to stitch two vertical darts under the bust area.  That was a good tweak and I felt I could finally put this top into rotation to wear with pants to work.  Yesterday was the first day I wore it.  I got lots of compliments about the style as well as about the fabric.  Ya'll know I really loved this fabric and that is why I kept on working to get it to fit.  The fabric is from LaFinch and it is a Liverpool knit.  Got to get some more!

I took some quick photos with my iPad.  I looked at the photos closely and can see where there are some fit issues still.  The people …

Downsizing Pattern Stash

I have a gazillion patterns and there are some life events coming up that will require me to eliminate some "clutter".  Currently I have posted several classified ads on Pattern Review.  Assuming that is a site you dear reader visit also, you can find my ads for patterns for sale as Danvillegirl.
I have several more patterns I plan to post and thought I would give PR a try as I have been successful selling some patterns on that website.  I may post some on eBay as well. I even thought of adding a page to this blog.  
Currently the patterns are Butterick, McCall's and Kwik Sew.  So if you are interested stop over and see what's available.

12 Days of Thanksgiving at PR

I thought I had posted about this.  Pattern Review held a 12 days of Thanksgiving.  We were to comment and thank a person who writes reviews and comment on why you were thankful for this person. 

I was selected on Day 9 and won the new Rivermont Dress pattern by Cashmerette.

My pattern arrived Saturday.  I am looking forward to trying this pattern in the near future.


Up next

Image
I really need more outerwear.  I am planning to make some jackets; first up will be a bomber jacket.
I plan to make this one

I tried another bomber jacket pattern that just did not work out.  The instructions contained a lot of errors and the fabric I chose was not a good choice.  This pattern calls for woven fabrics and moderate knits with limited stretch.
After pin fitting this pattern, I think the shoulders are way to broad for me.  I used a technique from Sandra Betzina on narrowing shoulders.
The technique is to draw around the shoulder and arm area, extending down two inches below the arm and two inches in width from this area. Now you have a template and I cut around this draft.  You then mark the amount you want to reduce the shoulder width, and lay the template at that mark and then pivot the template to line up at the underarm area side seam.  I then taped this to the pattern and the cut the excess off.  I reduced the width of this by 1/2 inch.
Other changes made thus far is…

Patterns

Image
I got behind on taking some photo shots of new patterns purchased this year.  I like to document the pattern and the year purchased.  I recently purchased 3 Simplicity patterns on Pattern Review when they had a $3.99 sale on Simplicity patterns.



I also purchased this New Look pattern a few months ago
I have seen several reviews or photos of skirts from this Susan Khalje pattern.  Thought I would try it.
I also purchased this magazine and these patterns came with it.


I am all caught up now and need to get back on the no pattern purchase diet!

Thanksgiving

Image

Labels

Show more

Sewcialists

Sewcialists